Product Attribute / custom Field

Saturday, February 27, 2021 2:05:47 PM
  • Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2021 7:01 PM
  • 30
Hello - I am looking to migrate my shop from Magento

One thing that seems to be missing is a basic "enforceable" Product attribute or custom field.

In Magento - you can create custom attributes on the product that are not necessarily used for changing the price / sku - but are just like a custom field, but you can make them mandatory.

For example ( we sell health Products )
- a "Yes / No" Product attribute called "Gluten Free"
- a Dropdown Product Attribute Called "Margin" where you can select whether the product margin is low/medium/high
- a text Product Attribute Called "Feed Name" to put custom text for an alternative product name sent to shopping feeds

How can we achieve this in Grand Node?
0
  • Posted: Friday, January 22, 2021 6:22 AM
  • Team
  • 7
Martin wrote:
In Magento - you can create custom attributes on the product that are not necessarily used for changing the price / sku - but are just like a custom field, but you can make them mandatory.

This same here. You may set up an attribute to change the price or not.

Martin wrote:
- a "Yes / No" Product attribute called "Gluten Free"

Assume that is a mandatory field set up by an admin. As a matter of fact, that should be a specification than, but I have set it up as a product attribute to show you the possibility of our eCommerce platform.

Martin wrote:
- a Dropdown Product Attribute Called "Margin" where you can select whether the product margin is low/medium/high

Not sure if the mandatory field is or not, do not know either is price changing or not. Set it up as a mandatory field without price change.

Martin wrote:
- a text Product Attribute Called "Feed Name" to put custom text for an alternative product name sent to shopping feeds

That is interesting - to send information to shopping fees we use plugins (like Google Shopping Feed) and that is done at the backend. Why you need a text box to be shown at the front end for that purpose? I did not add this, because the text field is used to interact with a buyer. If need to add such information to the product details, there is a read-only checkbox (same as at the first case with the gluten-free field).

So this is my backend


And this is how is presented to the potential buyer.
0
  • Posted: Friday, January 22, 2021 8:50 AM
  • 30
No it's not the same

In Grandnode - it is only really useful for the front end - and it's a bit convoluted the way you implement it.

In Magento - you might want to create an attribute that is just for displaying ( more like a custom field ) - and you can also edit the data just like it is a field using product attribute sets.  It can be used on the front end - but more useful acting like a "custom field"

In Magento It just
- makes it really easy to have ANY information you want,
- makes it easy to access / enter the data easily ( just like any other system field )
- makes it easy to enforce data entry for the product field and even limit to certain product types.

It doesn't have to be in the front end at all. So in the case of google shopping you just add something like {feed_name} and it will automatically fill the data from the product attribute.
0
  • Posted: Friday, January 22, 2021 12:18 PM
  • Team
  • 7
Martin wrote:
In Grandnode - it is only really useful for the front end - and it's a bit convoluted the way you implement it.

Well, attributes are usually used for the front end. For the back end, you may use admin comment for example. Not sure why you force attribute feature for something else was design for?
Luckily GrandNode is an Open Source solution, so you may implement anything according to your needs if you think the way we have done is convoluted.

Martin wrote:
In Magento - you might want to create an attribute that is just for displaying

Already shown you a way to display information. Also notice you, that if any information is only for displaying, the specification attribute should be better.

Martin wrote:
and you can also edit the data just like it is a field using product attribute sets.

At the GrandNode you are not able to edit the data? Not able to edit product attributes or specification attributes? Sorry, but most probably you have missed that is possible here!

Martin wrote:

In Magento It just
- makes it really easy to have ANY information you want,
- makes it easy to access / enter the data easily ( just like any other system field )
- makes it easy to enforce data entry for the product field and even limit to certain product types.

What is difficult to proceed to the admin panel, open a product list, choose a product, and click edit? What is difficult to open product attributes and update/edit/add/remove attributes? What is difficult to do this same with specification attributes?

Martin wrote:
It doesn't have to be in the front end at all.

If not for the front end, then why you trying to add an attribute? An attribute is designed for something else. Just because Magento using this we also have to? If any eCommerce platform be this same what would be the reason for creating something else?
0
  • Posted: Friday, January 29, 2021 5:57 AM
  • 30
Tomasz wrote:
Well, attributes are usually used for the front end. For the back end, you may use admin comment for example. Not sure why you force attribute feature for something else was design for?


In Magento - attributes are used in the front end to capture data entry - but ALSO to render data i.e. like a custom field. This is a major hole in grand node.
https://docs.magento.com/user-guide/catalog/attribute-best-practices.html#attribute-use

Tomasz wrote:
Also notice you, that if any information is only for displaying, the specification attribute should be better.

In the case of size - there would be over 500 specification attributes.  Seems to be overkill if you just want to represent something as text.

Tomasz wrote:
At the GrandNode you are not able to edit the data? Not able to edit product attributes or specification attributes? Sorry, but most probably you have missed that is possible here!

This is limited. For example if I want to enter value in a text field attribute , you cannot do it. there is no option.

Tomasz wrote:
What is difficult to proceed to the admin panel, open a product list, choose a product, and click edit? What is difficult to open product attributes and update/edit/add/remove attributes? What is difficult to do this same with specification attributes?


Apart from the constant errors I was getting when saving ( something about the product not being saved even though I had only one tab open )
- you can't add text values
- as I mentioned above, If I add attribute as a text box ( i.e. all I want is a custom field and to be able to set to a specific text value not something you would enter in the front end ) you cannot add any value to it.
- As I also mentioned above, specification attributes might be ok if you have a few values - but if you want more than a few hundred you would need a text attribute.

Tomasz wrote:
If not for the front end, then why you trying to add an attribute? An attribute is designed for something else. Just because Magento using this we also have to? If any eCommerce platform be this same what would be the reason for creating something else?


- As I said, it is acting as a custom field.  Having used Magento for 12+ years, This is one of the most useful things within Magento in terms of flexibility and adaptation to other systems.
- Just because Magento is using this we also have to?  Well have a think about what you are saying.  There is a reason Magento has been as successful as it has.  Other platforms simply don't support all the features out of the box well ( especially Multi site, Multi currency, Create Orders in Admin ).  Maybe you don't want Grandnode to do well - I don't know what your plan is.  




0
  • Posted: Friday, January 29, 2021 11:00 AM
  • 45
"That is interesting - to send information to shopping fees we use plugins (like Google Shopping Feed) and that is done at the backend. Why you need a text box to be shown at the front end for that purpose? I did not add this, because the text field is used to interact with a buyer. If need to add such information to the product details, there is a read-only checkbox (same as at the first case with the gluten-free field)."

Hello, dear team, I will not agree that the text field is not used in the sale of the product. What about personalized products? e.g. bags with initials, nickname, etc.? When the customer selects the size, color and pattern, he may also have the option of a text box where it will be possible to add any inscription on the bag.

best regards
0
  • Posted: Friday, January 29, 2021 12:09 PM
  • Team
  • 7
Marcin wrote:
What about personalized products? e.g. bags with initials, nickname, etc.? When the customer selects the size, color and pattern, he may also have the option of a text box where it will be possible to add any inscription on the bag.

Fully agree with the above. However the case I have stated this was related to

Tomasz wrote:
That is interesting - to send information to shopping fees we use plugins (like Google Shopping Feed) and that is done at the backend. Why you need a text box to be shown at the front end for that purpose?


The case @Martin was reference was related to a bit different behavior.
Martin wrote:
a text Product Attribute Called "Feed Name" to put custom text for an alternative product name sent to shopping feeds

So that is only for keeping information, without accessibility of change by users.

0
  • Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2021 7:22 AM
  • 30
Yes exactly - it is a way of having custom fields - and very powerful , used in a lot of magento plugins for metadata around products .  Sadly lacking in Grand node.
0
back to top
Filters